Sunday, June 10, 2012

Ivanhoe Runners

Back in 1985 when the original Bounders were in their prime, I was helping to found Ivanhoe Runners in Ashby de la Zouch and having recently got back into their club races, felt compelled to do the Corn Dolly 7 on Sunday at Hickling nr Melton Mowbray.

The name of the event led me to expect to be asked to wear bells on my ankles and wave my hanky as I ran, and to find an entry form for the Wicker Man 6 in the goodie bag. But apart from some strange categories in the dog show (Dog that looks most like your tractor) it all seemed fairly civilised.

Problem was it interfered with my bike training, and with just over 2 weeks to go to my London  - Paris trip (for those of you who would like to make a donation to cancer research, please see http://www.justgiving.com/bobwhitecycleride ) miles are important at this stage, so I cycled there. Nice steady ride through Staunton, Bottesford, Harby – 33 miles of warm up.

More than 20 Ivanhoe runners there in a low key event, but good fast, flat course. The Race Director was clearly under the influence of something stronger than the ribena in my drinks bottle when he put the mile markers out, as according to those who ran with the appropriate technology attached, the marker for 2 miles was actually at 2.3 and 3 was at 2.8, which explains several claims for 1 mile pb's on the day.

Not to worry, it was 7.2 miles in total and was I pleased with my 56.04 and the vast amount of tea and cake that followed. Great photos on my facebook page,http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/bob.white.944
you can only see them if you are my 'friend' – I don't have many! L

A steady sun – tanning ride home and now off to the pub. This is what weekends are for.

By Bob White

No comments:

Post a Comment